Re: OT: Helping new posters

Message posted by globally positioned wolf on February 12, 2004 at 23:52:10 PST:

In big open areas, GPS coordinates are simply easier to deal with. There are mile markers, but they of course only work by the ET Highway. In my last previous post, I would have to write a short story on how to park at the camo dude hide out, while a GPS gets this done in two numbers which I can yank off my PC or GPS. Most of the dirt roads don't even have names. I don't think of giving out GPS coordinates as being technical, but rather as a means of being expedient.

If you don't have a GPS, you can always plug the coordinates into the on-line programs such as the "acme mapper". (see link)

Much of the observation around Groom Lake needs to be done at night for obvious reasons. I can hardly find areas like the "gravel by the road" in the daylight, let alone at night. [Psst, it's at N37.43225 W115.44496]I've done a bit of "instrument" driving at night using a GPS, though I won't suggest people drive offroad at night.

The most basic GPS is about $100. You'll easily spend that on gas and one nights stay at a motel if you visit the area. I think GPSs are a good investment. One of the best links on GPS navigation is at
http://gpsinformation.net/

Regarding scanners, the key is to get one with "mil air", but only if you are going to watch Red Flag or the weapons school. [You can monitor the Janets with virtually any scanner, but the frequencies you need aren't published.] The frequencies for Red Flag are on this site, as well as some Red Flag scanner recordings, which should help you judge if the purchase of a scanner is a good idea.

Attached link: Horny's

In Reply to: OT: Helping new posters posted by Hank on February 12, 2004 at 21:31:50 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]