Re: Trip Report

Message posted by lone wolf on February 02, 2004 at 22:14:21 PST:

The dudes patrol about 40 miles of the ET highway, so I think for reliable radio coverage, they would use an antenna mounted on the truck. Now that antenna could be dual band with a diplexer, but I kind of doubt it. In any law enforcement situation, you want the radio to be as rugged and reliable as possible. There is no way to call for back up with a crappy radio. This is why you see most law enforcement vehicles that look like porcupines, i.e. an antenna for every function. [Radio, mobile data terminal, extender, RAT-pack, lojack, etc.]

They wouldn't use 802.11b or g for instance, since that is quite weak by design. [For range, you must use directional antennas rather than omnis.] Rather, it would be something in a government band, though the motion sensors were in the VHF police band, unlicensed of course because the rules don't apply to the camo dudes. [151.5Mhz, though it has probably been changed.]

In Reply to: Re: Trip Report posted by Hawkeye on February 02, 2004 at 22:01:46 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]