Re: A Nighthawk in Raptor's clothing

Message posted by Richard C on December 17, 2003 at 18:12:46 PST:

Without trailing it can be very hard to spot any aircraft in clear blue sky which is why the tactical grey scheme is so effective...

I had four B-1Bs trailing two KC-135Rs overhead my house once on their way to an exercise in Oman.
It took me a while to find them, even though the noise from the first two bombers and one KC135 was very loud and directly above me... they were only 14,000ft in altitude and i only just spotted the last two B1Bs moving in behind the second tanker ready to take on fuel in turn...

The same went with eight B-52H's on their way to Kosovo (yes, eight in trail formation) , again right overhead, if it hadnt been for the smoke, i wouldnt of spotted them at 19,000ft above me..... all i heard was noise, and then gradually after a while saw the smoke!

Living in a very active military training area, it isnt very often i see the aircraft unless they 'glint' in the sun or make trails....i just hear shear loud noise all day..... same goes with the many C17s/C5s and C141s i get over the top every day, unless they are trailing, its extremely difficult to see in the lovely clear sky...

Rich

In Reply to: Re: A Nighthawk in Raptor's clothing posted by lone wolf on December 08, 2003 at 16:30:29 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]