Re: Hank, Magoo, Chuck Clark... you guys seem to be the experts

Message posted by lone wolf on November 20, 2003 at 22:36:05 PST:

The atmospheric conditions should be prime. However, if something goes wrong, you are going to be stranded in some pretty nasty conditions. I don't think winter hikes are completely insane, but a solo one might be.

I was on the peak at the end of October (this year) and lucked out with reasonable temperatures, but nasty wind.

I did a hike up Brainwash in the winter. There was just a bit of snow on the road, but mostly it was dirt or mud. If you really are intent on seeing something, I'd visit the TTR. The rating of Brainwash Butte is 1/10th a Tikaboo, but I think it is much better than that. It's a relatively short hike without any loose shale. There is good analog cell phone coverage from many locations on the way to Brainwash Butte.

The TTR tends to be colder than Rachel, though not as bad as being on top of Tikaboo. You could just sleep in your vehicle at the base of Brainwash after you saw enough, or with a bit more off-road travel, there is a different spot where you can park your vehicle and look at the base. If you are in your car, you can run the engine&heater a bit to make the situation tolerable.

In Reply to: Hank, Magoo, Chuck Clark... you guys seem to be the experts posted by Chris Keever on November 20, 2003 at 21:04:26 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]