Re: Tikaboo in January?

Message posted by Steve Hauser on November 18, 2003 at 18:21:55 PST:

I made the hike in January 2002 twice over a 2 or 3-day period. Once with all my gear with a 4-man crew from the Discovery Channel. The other time with almost no gear with 2 guys from a Hungarian TV channel. I think in spots there was 6" or more of snow, other spots just rock, and other spots sort of a snow/ice/rock mix. I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think the marginal improvement in seeing conditions due to the cooler air is worth it. You can go other times of the year that are relatively cool, say early morning in early-to-mid October, and not have to deal with ice. The funny thing is, I didn't even obtain any imagery either of those times. I was just there to show the TV people what I do. I thought they were sort of foolish for wanting to make the climb that time of year. The only reason I went then was because they wanted to. Maybe they had second thoughts afterward. I remember the Hungarian cameraman slipping on some ice and taking a spill with his camera, I think a DV-Cam of some kind. Pricey, I'm sure. I had some spills of my own but was lucky and didn't really get hurt. If you're in great shape and with a friend or two in like shape, you would probably make it with just some scrapes or bruises, but I don't think it's worth it. Now, Reveille Peak in the snow, even though I've never tried, is something I would not even consider even if I was paid. Of course, you could just bring your skis.

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo in January? posted by lone wolf on November 18, 2003 at 12:28:08 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]