Re: Tikaboo in January?

Message posted by lone wolf on November 18, 2003 at 12:28:08 PST:

There is substantially less shale if you hike more towards the left (going up) than on the traditional trail. Also, that part of the traditional trail where you walk along the side of mountain on the way to the false summit would be deadly if it was slippery.

Note that anything you do to avoid the shale is a longer hike. On my first attempt to climb Tikaboo, I couldn't find the trail, but I had the waypoints, so I could hike in the general direction. [A GPS back then was only good to about 50ft on average due to the "selective availability" error, which was removed in 1999. If you are off the trail by even 5ft, it is virgin territory.] I ended up on a part of the false summit much further away from the peak than the traditional trail takes you and found a campsite and a bit of trash, so I assume there are some who make a habit of these more distant paths.

There are many ways to the false summit, but after that, the traditional trail should be follwed.

Note that Steve Hauser did do the hike in January.

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo in January? posted by Hank on November 18, 2003 at 10:35:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]