How to get to Lockheed RCS test facility in Helendale

Message posted by Norio Hayakawa on October 25, 2000 at 01:32:56 EST:

One day this past summer I revisited the outer perimeters of Lockheed's Helendale RCS test facility (from where one could see the pylon and whatever models placed on top, if one were lucky enough to be at the right time).....to see if anything was going on. Unfortunately there seemed to be no activity, at least on the day that I was there.
Upon learning that Lockheed Martin was conducting tests of aeroform models of JSF at the facility (as reported by Lockheed Martin's Press Release of October 2, 2000), I somehow felt frustrated that I missed all the action there when they were doing something.
The last time I had seen any aeroform being tested at the facility was back in 1993 or 1994 where we had observed a large diamond-shaped aeroform being placed over the pylon that arose from under and was elevated above. Some type of tarp was placed over the ojbect. And several trucks converged near the pylon. They seem to be touching some part of the object. I hadn't the slightest idea what model they were testing that time.
Anyway, I would like to suggest that occasionally we all need to check out the facility for any new developments.
The best way to get to Lockheed RCS test facility by vehicle (from Los Angeles) is to take Highway 14 from Freeway No. 5 north from L.A. and go towards Palmdale.
Then take Pearblossom Highway east to Highway 395. Go north on Highway 395 and make a right on Shadow Mountains Rd., which will take you to Silver Lakes, which is the new community next to old Helendale. Then make a left on Helendale Rd. Go all the way on Helendale Rd. until you get to the dirt road, which is a continuation of Helendale Rd. You climb up a little and then a mile or so later, you will see the facility to the right. You can clearly see the main pylon. (And if one is lucky enough to get on the day they test something....voila!)
The other way to see the facility is to go to Fox Airport in Lancaster. Go to Barnes Aviation. Tell them you would like to fly over the RCS test ranges. A lady pilot will fly you over three majors RCS test facilities, including Northrop's Tejon Ranch facility, McDonnell Douglas Llano facility (which is now closed) and finally Lockheed's Helendale facility. She usually charges about $50 for a 45 minute flyover of the three facilities.
Anyone who is interested in visiting Helendale facility area, please let me know. I can take you there.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]